[INDOLOGY] Aditya-varna

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Wed Jan 22 19:24:05 UTC 2014

Actually, James raised the “irrelevant” question regarding Aditya. I replied that at least in MW, where Aditya is the first member of a compound, it is rarely used adjectivally, though Aditya may act as an adjective.

I’m not sure that either the question or the answer were intended to be relevant to a greater issue. Technically, it seems that Aditya in Bg 8.9 can be part of a bahu-vrihi, as you point out, or it may be an adjective.

Best,
hr