[INDOLOGY] Visualisation of Buddha/Guru

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Tue Jan 21 13:31:37 UTC 2014

Dear James,

	Bhagavad-gita prescribes a visualization of Krishna as “supreme divine person…with an inconceivable, sun-colored form” (Bg 8.8-9). And of course chapter 11 is extremely visual, using dozens of forms of various verbs meaning “to see,” all in regard to the visva-rupa.

	The Bhagavata-purana, which many date to the first millennium ce, is full of visualizations of various forms of Bhagavan, explicitly as meditation practice. The usual divine forms are the virad-rupa (cosmic form), four-handed Narayana, and two-handed Krishna.

Best
Howard