[INDOLOGY] Brahmin?

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Mon Feb 24 04:01:11 UTC 2014

Yes,
a spelling ending in "in"
could be a trace of French influence,
as in the case of "Pattabiramin",
(பட்டபிராமன் = paṭṭapirāmaṉ)

(see:
http://www.efeo.fr/biographies/notices/pattabiramin.htm)

However,
I cannot quote any French source for "brahmin" ...

Going further,
I remember a similar discussion,
on the reasons for the presence of a final "n"
[is it due to Portuguese influence?]
in the words "Comorin" (Cape Comorin)
and Tuticorin (name of a city),
because there is no final "ṉ"
in Kaṉṉiyākumari (கன்னியாகுமரி)
or Tūttukkuṭi (தூத்துக்குடி) [Thoothukudi]
but I don't find it inside the (Liverpool) INDOLOGY
list archives
(it must have been on some other mailing list
[I hope it is not the beginning of Alzheimer disease ...]

Coming back to the spelling "Brahmin",
when V.S. Rajam mentionned the spellings found
in Henriques' 16th cent. /Arte da Lingua Malabar/ (HOS 76, 2013),
I thought it might also be useful to have a look
at Antao de Proença's Tamil Portuguese Dictionary (A.D. 1679),
since that book did not seem to be part of the sources consulted
in the various messages.

There are two entries on folio 31,
which are relevant to the discussion

பிறமமததி [pi-ṟa-ma-ma-ta-ti]. Homicidio de bramane.

பிறமணன [pi-ṟa-ma-ṇa-ṉa]. Bramane, quasi ſabio.

I hope this negative evidence is useful

Best wishes to all

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Pondicherry)