[INDOLOGY] Brahmin?

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 20 23:46:06 UTC 2014

Dr. Whitakar has raised an important question and I’m thankful.

It may be unknown to some readers on this list that the first known intellectual/academic contact between the West and India happened through South India in the 16-th century.

We have records of the earliest contact between the Portuguese and India through the South. One of such records is Fr. Henriques’ handwritten manuscript of the grammar of Tamil (Arte Da Lingua Malabar) from 1549 CE (long before the British arrived in India).

In his manuscript, Fr. Henriques records the following words: “piramanen” and “பிராமனன”; piramanati and “பிராமனததி.” No distinction between the alveolar “n” and the retroflex “n.”

The final “in” in  "B/brahmin” must be after Fr. Henriques’ time.

For details, please refer to “The Earliest Missionary Grammar of Tamil” by Jeanne and Rajam, Harvard 2013.

++++++

One of the earliest Tamil commentaries from about the 8-th century uses the term பிராமணன் (pirāmaṇan).

Thanks and regards,
Rajam