[INDOLOGY] Mr. Batra, NCERT and Penguin

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 10:59:57 UTC 2014

Dear Prof. Bhattacharya,

I am not aware of any controversy in this INDOLOGY forum about Doniger's
book *The Hindus: An Alternative History*.  As far as I am aware, all
commentators have been unanimous in their condemnation of the attack on
free speech and the withdrawal of the book from circulation in India.

You say that you are not taking sides, that you hold no brief.  If that is
true, you are alone here.  I think members of the list would be interested
if you could offer a reasoned justification for not overtly supporting the
freedom of expression in the academic study of religion.  If you cannot, or
do not wish to, offer a plausible case for censorship, then you have indeed
taken a side.

This is a time for scholars to speak out.

Dominik Wujastyk
University of Vienna