[INDOLOGY] Grammatical Pun Reference

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Feb 17 02:56:11 UTC 2014

Hello Jennifer,

     I looked up the verse and its commentary (Bodhasāra of Narahari,
Banaras Sanskrit Series, edn, p. 63).  It appears to me that referring
Gurus who replace mamatā with samatā, the verse is poetically calling the
Gurus the best of Grammarians.  The verse is using the grammatical trope of
instituting a replacement (ādeśa) in the place of (sthāna) something.  The
process of replacement effectively removes the original and brings into
existence the replacement.  Patañjali defines the original (sthānin) as yaḥ
bhūtvā na bhavati, and ādeśa "replacement" as yaḥ abhūtvā bhavati.
 Narahari's verse is not referring to any actual grammatical rule that
replaces "ma" with "sa", but is simply referring to the idea of replacement
in the grammar.  At least that is what it seems to be.

Madhav Deshpande

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Jennifer Cover <jenni.cover at ursys.com.au>wrote:

> Dear Sanskritists,
>
> I haven't been able to find a reference in Pāṇini  grammar for a verse
> utilising a grammatical pun. The pun involves turning *ma* into *sa*.
>
> Our teachers are indeed the most accomplished grammarians
> who can substitute equality (*samatā*) for ownership (*mamatā*),
> turning *mamatā* into *samatā*.
> They have the best grammar.
>
> सुतरां गुरवोऽस्माकं वैयाकरणसत्तमाः ।
> आदिश्य ममतास्थाने समतां साधयन्ति ये ॥९॥
>
> sutarāṁ guravo'smākaṁ vaiyākaraṇasattamāḥ  |
> ādiśya mamatāsthāne samatāṁ sādhayanti ye  ||9||
>
> I would be grateful for any help.
> Many thanks,
> Jennifer Cover (PhD)
> Sydney

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA