Re: [INDOLOGY] Nārāyaṇagarta and Kayyaṭa Kashmiri pandits

Dipak Durgamohan Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:00:55 UTC 2014

11 02 14

There is some error in Michael Witzel’s report.The impression was not the
result of any talk at Leiden. I could not have talked about the matter with
anyone before going to Túbingen because I did not know it.

I visited Túbingen in June 1982. Professor Upadhye of Bombay, at that time
staying there as an invitee, took me to the Indologisches Institüt.
Professor Stietencron told a gentleman to show me around. The person in
charge of the manuscript section took me around the library. It was then
that I was shown what was claimed to be the Śāradā ms of the AVP. It was in
pieces. They told me that the things had been drenched by rainwater during
the war. I asked if there was any chance of repairing. They were trying and
told me that.

I could not check the contents as the damaged material was not accessible.

I told the matter to Professor Thieme. He told me in Sanskrit that what was
destroyed would live in Chromophotography.

I reported the matter at Leiden too. Nobody said otherwise at that time or
later.

Greetings

D.Bhattacharya