Re: [INDOLOGY] Nārāyaṇagarta and Kayyaṭa Kashmiri pandits

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 18:15:58 UTC 2014

Dear Walter,

Many thanks for the additional information (especially reference to p. 56 of your book on Sharada script) and observations.

As I stated in my post of yesterday, I accept your main point that "rbha" and "rta" could be confused.

By now, I have been given enough evidence to think of "rbha" --> "rta" as a more likely corruption In the case of the Devii;sataka commentary pu.spikaa than the "rga" --> "rta" corruption that I had initially suggested. Attestation of 'naaraaya.na-garbha" in another manuscript and the suggestion of the evidence collected from the Einoo-edited book to the effect that there indeed were names ending -garbha (albeit only in the Tantrik tradition and probably only as pen-names or post-initiation names) further removed my resistance to the "rta" --> "rbha" emendation.

In an earlier stage of my thinking, I would have liked to get an *explicit* statement from S. Kaul on the confusability of "rta" and "rbha", but such a statement is no longer necessary. That he suggests through his employment of "mislection" that copyists misread "bhuu-garta" as "bhuu-garbha" and may, therefore, be thought of as having in front of them a writing that could be understood either way -- as  "rta" or as "rbha" -- is now sufficient in view of the evidence coming from other quarters.

About the (reverse) "rbha" --> "rta" emendation in verse 2.209 of ;Sriivara's Raaja-tara:ngi.nii, we should start another thread or discuss the matter when we meet next. You probably are as short of time as I am at present. I leave the choice to you.

With best wishes,

ashok