Re: [INDOLOGY] Nārāyaṇagarta and Kayyaṭa Kashmiri pandits

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 05:05:16 UTC 2014

Dear Elliot,

Thanks.

I can think of only two reasons why I did not get the references you got: (a) I am not as good at carrying these searches as I should be. (2) Some references may be accessible only in the USA.

One addition to my last post: All personal names ending in -garbha seem to be pen or post-initiation names and the practice of using them seems to be current only in the Tantra tradition(s). Vajra-garbha, Candra-garbha, Puur.na-cid-garbha, Aananda-garbha, Kalyaa.na-garbha; ;Sakti-garbha, Aakaa;sa-garbha and Vetra-garbha, among possibly others, do not seem like names given by parents in the naming ceremony of a child; they are not similar in formation to the 'natural' names commonly attested in Indian religious traditions in general. Therefore, the search for Naaraaya.na-garbha, too, will, most probably, be based on a name given to a historical person in his later life in a limited circle

ashok.