Re: [INDOLOGY] Nārāyaṇagarta and Kayyaṭa Kashmiri pandits

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Sun Feb 9 01:29:43 UTC 2014

Since my in-text images did not come through (at least in what I received), I attach them in the same order.
Tim

From: <Lubin>, Timothy Lubin <lubint at wlu.edu<mailto:lubint at wlu.edu>>
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:23 PM
To: "ashok.aklujkar" <ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com<mailto:ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com>>, Indology List <indology at list.indology.info<mailto:indology at list.indology.info>>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Nārāyaṇagarta and Kayyaṭa Kashmiri pandits

-garbha as a name suffix seems common enough among authors of Tantric texts, or from Tantra-influenced milieux.  A quick search through Genesis and Development of Tantrism, ed. Shingo Einoo, (Kyoto, 2009) yields many examples, including a Nārāyaṇagarbha.

For the graphic similarities cited, these samples are from the Ojha publication Ashok cites:
[cid:E5D75D30-4724-4EF0-B4F4-07C7FDD12CC5]

These are 16th c. Sharada examples from Plate XXXI of the same (the second, /bha/, is not necessarily closed)
[cid:2C26A824-B819-47D9-A424-6C1E5450DF23]
[cid:499F7A3A-9580-404D-B760-829372B128D0]
Compare also these, from p. 62 (on Śāradā) of Hemarāj Śākya's _Nepāla Lipi-Prakāśa_:
[cid:03186FC7-9BFF-44A8-8EF2-446920C987F7]
Certainly close enough to me mistaken given natural variability.

Also, consider the ta and bha rows in the attached chart, especially for the scripts listed as Vartula, Nepali, and Nandinagari.

Tim

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion
Washington and Lee University