[INDOLOGY] MSS in Sarasvati Bhavan Library

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Mon Feb 3 08:46:05 UTC 2014

I recently found out that a number of MSS of texts for which I have been
searching for several years are present in Sarasvati Bhavan Library,
Varanasi. Moreover, I was told that they have all been digitized; but I
have been given rather conflicting accounts of their availability.

According to one informant, the digitized texts can be accessed and
copied at a cost (but only piecemeal, no more than 25% of a text at a
time) from within the IGNCA in Delhi. A catalogue of Sarasvati Bhavan
Library MSS is found on the IGNCA website:
http://ignca.nic.in/

According to another informant, however, although the manuscripts have
been digitized, there is no facility for getting digital copies; and the
written permission of the Vice Chancellor of Sampoornanand Sanskrit
University in Varanasi is needed for either reading or gettting a
photocopy of any manuscript. Even with such a permission, I was told, I
am unlikely to be allowed to view more than a few MSS.

In view of these conflicting and not very encouraging reports, I wonder
if any colleagues on the list have practical experience of accessing
Sarasvati Bhavan Library MSS, and have any advice to offer. All tips and
other forms of assistance would be most gratefully received!

Martin Gansten