[INDOLOGY] Traditional/ insider's view of language or dialect status of Prakrits

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 18:36:42 UTC 2014

Thanks Dr. Ollett.

'Dialect' is a modern category from the discipline of linguistics is
obvious.

What are the emic categories/ perspectives found in Sanskrit and Prakrit
sources in reference to 1. Sanskrit and Prakrits 2. Their mutual relation
3. Their status in relation to each other ?

To which etic categories/ perspectives do those emic
categories/perspectives come close ? Or In what contemporary terms can we
translate those emic categories/perspectives the best?

Which of the two: 'language' or 'dialect' a suitable way of translating the
emic categories towards Prakrit?

Books dealing with these issues are what I am looking for. List members
kindly guided me to some such books. Dr. Ollett's suggestions are very much
useful in this regard.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nagaraj