[INDOLOGY] Question on Sanskrit Syntax

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Dec 28 13:52:17 UTC 2014

n a Sanskrit work titled Nityācāradarpaṇa by Brahmānanda, on p. 2, I see a
quotation from Dakṣasmṛti:

आचाराल्लभते पूजामाचाराल्लभते प्रजा: ।
आचारात्प्राप्यते स्वर्गमाचारात्प्राप्यते सुखम् ।।

Here, ācārāt prāpyate svargam is an irregular usage, unless one assumes
that the word svarga is somehow used in neuter gender.  With the normal
masculine gender of the word svarga, svargam would be an accusative case
form, and this does not fit well with the passive verb.  In Marathi, such
passive constructions are possible: रामाने (instrumental) रावणाला
(accusative) मारिले (passive verb).  This usage alternates with a more
Sanskrit like passive: रामाने रावण (nom) मारिला/मारला (nom).  I am
wondering if anyone has come across Sanskrit passive (bhāve) constructions
where the object shows up in the accusative case.  Any information or
suggestions are appreciated.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA