[INDOLOGY] Traditional/ insider's view of language or dialect status of Prakrits

Oleg Bendz oleg.bendz at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 09:38:16 UTC 2014

2014-12-27
Dear All:
The "prakrit" of Gandhara (the Kushans) had an army, but maybe not a navy.Language periodization may be an important consideration.The problem of language and dialect may reside in the terminology itself.I should stop here.
O.Bendz

     On Friday, December 26, 2014 5:48 PM, Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu> wrote:

 >Ultimately, a clear distinction between “language” and “dialects” eludes even modern linguistics, in spite of long discussions of this issue.

As Max Weinreich elegantly put it: "A language is a dialect with an army and navy."

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago