[INDOLOGY] Studies on the word 'vipra'?

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:04:00 UTC 2014

Dear Sam,

'vipra' is- a well-attested word in  Vedic, starting with the Rigveda.  It
has a solid Avestan cognate, 'vifra', with a similar semantic range as in
Vedic: 'trembling, shaking, inspired, ecstatic.'  Among its many
Indo-European cognates is Latin 'vibrare' [to vibrate], as well as English
'wipe.'

In the RV 'vipra' is frequently associated with nouns that are more or less
synonyms with the term 'Brahmin': e.g., rsi and kavi.

In my view, 'vipra' is a word that is rooted in the earliest cultural
strata in the RV that preserve memory of Central Asian shamanism.

See Jan Gonda: *The Vision of the Vedic Poets.*  This book's Index will
steer you toward useful discussions of this word.  See also Louis Renou:
*Etudes sur le vocabulaire de Rgveda* [see index des mots etudies], as well
as Renou's EVP I [index of words].  There is also useful discussion in J.W.
Hauer: *Die Anfaenge der Yoga Praxis im Alten Indien [see Sachregister
'vipra'].

I can't help you with 16th-17th century evidence. I hope that this is
helpful.

Best wishes,

George Thompson