[INDOLOGY] Orality and memory culture in the transmission of the Vedas: video clips / intended public: students in Indology ...

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Sun Dec 7 17:03:02 UTC 2014

Paul Thieme has treated exactly this subject with the result, if my memory
doesn't fail me, that Pāṇini's motivation - in conformity with late Vedic
thought - would have been to formulate a grammatical "truth":
Thieme, Paul: Meaning and form of the 'Grammar' of Pāṇini. Studien zur
Indologie und Iranistik 8-9 (1982): 1-34
[= Kleine Schriften 3, 1170-1201]

Regards,
WS

-----------------------------
Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Löns-Str. 1
D-99425 Weimar
Deutschland

Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.