[INDOLOGY] Warfare Documentation

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 28 17:22:22 UTC 2014

There is a great deal of information on warfare in Sangam literature — how weapons are kept, description of battles (though not as detailed as one might like), the use of drums during warfare to summon fighters and to accompany fighting, as well as many descriptions of cattle raids, which seem to have been extremely common.  There are also described some rituals before and after battle.  I think the details given in the Sangam texts are far more real and less idealized than the conventional descriptions in poets like Kālidāsa and Kampaṉ.  George Hart