[INDOLOGY] References on women scholars in ancient and medieval India

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 20 02:40:00 UTC 2014

On Aug 19, 2014, at 17:44 , palaniappa at aol.com wrote:

> I think Matthew Kapstein meant the Maṇimēkalai (not the Cilappatikāram).

But the Cilappatikāram (older than the Maṇimēkalai)  has the famous character of the Jaina scholar-nun Kavunti, about whom I wrote an article long ago :-). So if fictional women scholars also qualify for the list of references, see my “The Jaina Nun Kavunti.” Bulletin d'études indiennes (Paris) 5 (1987), pp. 387-417.

RZ

-----
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institute of Indology and Tibetology