Re: [INDOLOGY] devanāgarī font

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 12 14:28:43 UTC 2014

Word for Mac does not use the Cocoa framework that is standard for Apple software, and because it uses its own now outmoded legacy coding, it cannot handle Indic unicode fonts.  I use Devanagari and Tamil pretty extensively (especially Tamil), and always work in Nisus Writer and Scrivener.  I have not had the problems described below.  I find Nisus is a much more powerful, easier to use program than Word, which I avoid.  Nisus will read and write Word doc/docx files, but its standard encoding is rtf, which Word can also handle.  The macro language in Nisus can be extremely helpful.  For example, I have a macro that turns our legacy Tamil 8-bit encoding into Tamil unicode.  It has been enormously valuable and saved a huge amount of work.  Nisus also allows much more complex search and replace than Word.  Scrivener also uses rtf.  George Hart