[INDOLOGY] Font with Brahmi characters

Stefan Baums baums at lmu.de
Mon Aug 4 12:14:47 UTC 2014

Dear Will,

> I recently heard about Google Noto fonts

I had a go at the Noto Brahmi font, and basic support is
there, but not complete. (I had the same experience with the
Noto Kharoshthi font.) In the following sentence, for
instance

   𑀇𑀬𑀁𑀥𑀀𑀫𑀮𑀺𑀧𑀻𑀤𑁂𑀯𑀸𑀦𑀀𑀧𑁆𑀭𑀺𑀬𑁂𑀦𑀧𑁆𑀭𑀺𑀬𑀤𑀲𑀺𑀦𑀸𑀭𑀸𑀜𑀸𑀮𑁂𑀔𑀸𑀧𑀺𑀢𑀸

(the beginning of Girnar Rock Edict 1 in Brāhmī script),
vowel signs and anusvāra are correctly attached to base
consonants, but pa + virāma + ra is not correctly combined.

Still, it is good to see this sort of broad support for
Brāhmī and Kharoṣṭhī emerging, and when the missing
rendering functionality is added, the Noto fonts should be
very useful.

All best,
Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Baums
Institute for Indian and Tibetan Studies