[INDOLOGY] Another manuscript from Cambridge

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:34:30 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Still busy with my notices of Tamil MSS from the Cambridge University
Library, I sollicit again your help in identifying a text.

This is found in another paper MS donated by Percy Macqueen. It is an
English translation entitled "Elder brother, younger Brother." What seems
to be the original title is transcribed as "Mannudaya Goundam" and
"Mannudaya Kavundan". I suppose this is Tamil maṇṇuṭaiya kavuṇṭaṉ.
It might be a translation of a printed book. The manuscript ends with the
words "Here ends the book." But "book" may in fact just mean "work."
Personal names and place names mentioned in the translation are:
Salvanathapuram, Arimalai, [M]aliu[r], Ponnachi, Seppulam.
Attached is a file with incipit and excipit.
As Mcqueen has been posted in Salem, the work of Brenda Beck on Kongudesa
comes to mind.

Does anyone know about this story and could enlighten me?

As I it seems that Brenda Beck is not member of this list, could anyone
kindly forward her my query?

With very best wishes.

--

Emmanuel Francis
Chargé de recherche CNRS, Centre d'étude de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud (UMR