[INDOLOGY] passing of Prof Heesterman (1925-2014)

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:02:05 UTC 2014

Grateful for the important and remarkable contributions Prof. Heesterman
has given to indology since his 1957 thesis on the Rajasuya (produced under
J. Gonda), the passing away of Prof. Heesterman still feels like a great
actual loss as he has continued to work and publish well into the 21st
century including very recently on the Mahabharata. In Vedism, his first
and main but not his only field of research, the last contribution I know
of was the one to the Ch. Malamoud Festschrift "The Dakṣiṇā and the
Development of Sacrifice" (2012). Prof. Heesterman still used to preferably
WRITE his scientific work by hand, without use of typewriter let alone
computer. The handwritten version was then typed and corrected.
Condolences to his family.
Jan Houben