[INDOLOGY] "ucgadkw" and UCL

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 12:09:05 UTC 2013

​ear colleagues,

For about 25 years I had an email account at University College London.  It
was "ucgadkw at euclid.ucl.ac.uk" from 1988, and then "ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk" with
aliases to "wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk" and "d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk".  After leaving
UCL in 2009 I was given honorary status, so the accounts continued, as did
access to my filestore, that for many years was the INDOLOGY website.

But that has all now been unplugged and switched off. I was not informed or
warned about this, and a UCL computer support person has just told me that
it is unlikely that I'll be given access to my old files because apparently
they don't belong to me, but to UCL ("work for hire").  I have a backup,
but it is slightly out of date.

There's obviously a lesson here: if you care about your work, don't store
it exclusively on a university computer.  Strange thing to say, but
unfortunately true.

It's not so bad, though, since buying personal space on a server is so
cheap and easy these days.  And email accounts with Google etc. are free
and good.  So one need not feel dependent on university facilities.

If you still have "ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk" in your addressbook, you can now
safely delete it.  My email address for the rest of my life will be "
wujastyk at gmail.com", I hope.

References to websites starting http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw, including
the really old INDOLOGY pages, should also be deleted or updated.  The
files aren't there any more.  All my INDOLOGY work moved quite a while ago
to the private server that I rent at http://indology.info.  Other things
from my UCL account have been split off to http://academia.edu, etc.  EDMAC
has moved to http://tug.org/edmac/.

If you want a burst of nostalgia, you can still see some of the old stuff
via the WayBackMachine<http://web.archive.org/web/20110218033412/http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/>.

Best,
Dominik