Re: [INDOLOGY] Meaning of Paṭa?

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 31 18:34:33 UTC 2013

Don,

Have a look at D.C. Sircar's Indian Epigraphy, pp. 66-67; also my Indian
Epigraphy p. 132, for further references. It has been suggested (I don't
remember exactly where -- this may go all the way back to Buehler's
Indische Palaeographie) that archival copies of land grants were kept on
cloth.

Rich

Rich Salomon