[INDOLOGY] H-ASIA: AIIS summer 2014 and academic year 2014-2015 language programs in India

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 24 21:25:34 UTC 2013

H-ASIA
October 24, 2013

American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS) summer 2014 and academic
year 2014-2015 language programs in India
From: Elise Auerbach--AIIS <aiis at uchicago.edu>

Could you please circulate the information about the AIIS summer 2014
and academic year 2014-2015 to students at your institutions? We want
to inform as many students as possible about our language programs.

The American Institute of Indian Studies welcomes applications for its
summer 2014 and academic year 2014-2015 language programs. Programs to
be offered include Hindi (Jaipur), Bengali (Kolkata), Punjabi
(Chandigarh), Tamil (Madurai); Marathi (Pune), Urdu (Lucknow), Telugu
(Hyderabad), Kannada (Mysore), Malayalam (Thiruvananthapuram) and
Sanskrit (Pune) and Pali/Prakrit (Pune). We will offer other Indian
languages upon request. All academic year applicants should have the
equivalent of two years of prior language study. For regular summer
Sanskrit, we require the equivalent of two years of prior study; for
summer Bengali, Hindi and Tamil we require the equivalent of one year
of prior study. For summer Urdu, we require the equivalent of one year
of either Hindi or Urdu. We can offer courses at all levels, including
beginning, in other Indian languages for the summer. Summer students
should apply for FLAS (graduate students) if available at their
institutions for funding to cover the costs of the program. Funding for
Hindi, Punjabi and Urdu may be available through the U.S. State
Department's CLS program (see www.clscholarship.org).

AIIS has some funding available for summer students who cannot procure
FLAS or CLS funding. This funding is allocated on the basis of the
language committee's ranking of the applicants. Academic year students
are eligible to apply for an AIIS fellowship which would cover all
expenses for the program. AIIS is also offering a fall semester program.
We offer Hindi, Bengali and Urdu at all levels for the fall; we require
two years of prior language study for other languages for the fall.

The application deadline is January 31, 2014.

Applications can be downloaded from the AIIS web site at
http://www.indiastudies.org.

For more information: Phone: 773-702-8638. Email: aiis at uchicago.edu.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Elise Auerbach

American Institute of Indian Studies
1130 E. 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
773-702-8638
www.indiastudies.org
aiis at uchicago.edu
         To post to  H-ASIA  simply send your message to:
                         <H-ASIA at h-net.msu.edu>
           For holidays or short absences send post to:
                 <listserv at h-net.msu.edu> with message:
                         SET H-ASIA NOMAIL
        Upon return, send post with message SET H-ASIA MAIL
        H-ASIA WEB HOMEPAGE URL:    http://h-net.msu.edu/~asia/