[INDOLOGY] query: 18 ;"sre.nii jaatis

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 30 03:38:26 UTC 2013

I agree with what Palaniappan has said here. George DID write/say that some of those Tamilians (Panan, Paraiyans, ...) were of low caste and untouchables. Quite alright if some westerners trying to study an ancient culture hold their own exotic view but what irks someone like me (who has been studying and researching these old texts for 4+ decades) is that some modern "Tamil enthusiasts" (not proficient in Old Tamil) have been going around like little drummer boys rha-ma-pum-pumming GH's glorious statements and putting down every caste in Tamilnadu, and this behavior is highly insensitive and irritating. As a brahmin, I should feel elated to support these drummer boys' low-caste vs high-caste theory, right? But I don't! George's article (http://tamilnation.co/caste/hart.pdf) is highly insensitive with inaccuracies and loaded with speculations from a non-Tamil westerner's point of view. If people have a question like "Is there a ghost in that tree?" the researcher starts with a sentence, "In that ghost-infested tree ... ." What kind of logic is that? In fact, it would be very hard to review G's article from an objective point of view, especially for a native speaker of Tamil like me. Well, my intent now is not to engage in a war (George and I are good friends) but to point out that articles about a non-native culture can hurt the natives. Could I get away making some stupidly sweeping remark that the First Family are slaves? Or, could I question the belief of the immacculate conception? While that is the case, why is it so easy for non-natives to speculate and concoct exotic stupid theories about other cultures -- money? power? arrogance? obnoxiousness? G's articles make me feel like a 'walking virus box' loaded with dangerous sacred power! Please know that men are also "impure" from a woman's perspective.

Thanks and regards,
Rajam