[INDOLOGY] Devanagari keyboard

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:20:43 UTC 2013

I'm slightly appalled by what I'm hearing about typing "f" in between every
conjuncted letter.  That must make typing a terrible pain!

All our modern operating systems have built-in stuff for making conjuncts
automatically by just typing the letters one after another (as in
romanization).* <http://behdad.org/text/>  I don't understand why MS Win
and OS/X users are doing this other, laborious thing.  Am I missing
something obvious?

When I type Devanagari, I type kRSNa and get कृष्ण, kArtsnyam for
कार्त्स्न्यम् . It's the same whatever program I'm using,  because the
keyboard/language stuff is handled by the operating system, not each
individual program.  As far as I know, anyhow.  It's handled by software on
my system, Ubuntu Linux, called Ibus and m17n (which comes with Devanagari
and IAST romanization already pre-defined).

Dominik