[INDOLOGY] Madhva / Mbh

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Fri May 31 16:27:35 UTC 2013

[Sorry for this belated response, which I apparently never sent.] I
haven’t made any thorough comparative study of the two redactions of
Madhva’s Sarvamūlagranthas, but repeatedly in my reading I noticed that
when Madhva’s text in its pracalitapāṭha form looks self-contradictory,
the mūlapāṭha does not contain the contradiction. The differences can be
small but dramatic (like not omitting a ‘na’, or having the verb in the
passive instead of the active mode). I remember how in some places the
one or the other pāṭha would contain words or phrases which the other
one did not have.

Foolishly, I did not note down any of these details; I merely decided
that the mūlapāṭha is the better (i.e., more straightforward and less
confusing) version and stuck to that one. But the mūlapāṭha edition by
Bannanje Govindacharya does contain a critical apparatus with frequent
references to the pracalitapāṭha. (N.B.: some university libraries, such
as the Univ. of Toronto, are fortunate enough to possess a copy of this
set, but the author is mentioned in the catalogue under the name
‘Ānandatīrtha’, Madhva’s earlier name, as given on the title pages of
these volumes, and not under ‘Madhva’.)