[INDOLOGY] mAtAjI

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu May 23 11:14:50 UTC 2013

I find an old note that

Karve 1943-1944: 71 has remarked on the uses of *mātṛ* and *ambā* for both
natural mother and step-mother in the *Mahābhārata*

Karve, Irawati. 1943-1944. “Kinship Terms and the Family Organization as
Found in the Critical Edition of the Mahābhārata.” *Bulletin of the Deccan
College Research Institute* 5: 61-148..

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM, SOMDEV VASUDEVA <somadevah at mac.com> wrote:

> It is probably worth noting that the Nāṭyaśāstra’s chapter 19.21–29, which
> lists stereotypically acceptable terms of address for women, does not
> include mātṛ. It does include ambā, but only to address an elderly lady
> (vṛddhā).
>
> Best
> Somadeva Vasudeva
>

> On May 23, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Howard Resnick <hr at IVS.EDU> wrote:
>
> > Do we know the history of the Hindu custom of addressing women as  mAtA
> or mAtAji?

J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Johan Huizinga Building, Room 1.37
Doelensteeg 16
2311 VL Leiden
The Netherlands