[INDOLOGY] Brill acquires the Forsten Indology list

Bijlert, V.A. van v.a.van.bijlert at vu.nl
Wed May 15 05:04:56 UTC 2013

I think the bottom-line is making profits. All these publishers exist for the sole purpose of making money; they are businesses after all. Seeing how difficult it is to get something scholarly actually published (unless it be subjects that sell well and that are academically fashionable) it is no wonder that smaller publishers close down.
Brill is an interesting case: its books are extremely expensive (although some of Routledge's publications also run into hundreds of dollars, pounds, euros) and yet it can act like a monopolist.
Yours
Victor van Bijlert