[INDOLOGY] Mudda?

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Wed May 1 13:23:22 UTC 2013

I should be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me as to the meaning
and etymology of the North Indian word muddā, as in muddā daśā,
referring to a particular astrological division of a single year of life
(employed in varṣaphala or annual horoscopy). Clearly the word is not of
Sanskrit origin, although it made its way into Sanskrit in early modern
times. Monier-Williams and Böhtlingk just refer to mudda (with short -a)
as an astrological term, without commenting on its meaning; the source
is apparently Weber's Indische Studien 2: 276, which gives two possible
Arabic etymologies; but as Weber was notoriously unlucky in his
etymological guesses, I would rather hear the opinions of knowledgeable
list members.

Martin Gansten
Lund University