[INDOLOGY] Linux in a virtual box on Mac (was: Fwd: New Sanskrit-Eng. dictionary...)

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 11 11:24:55 UTC 2013

I have been using Linux within Parallels on my Macs for the past few
years, mainly because of the Mac's ease of use, esp. where peripherals
are concerned.

The one drawback I found with Mac is the still limited support (the Snow
Leopard system: I hate the Lion function that opens programs and files
on booting up) for Indian scripts in OpenType fonts (esp. the southern,
Dravidian scripts), which an Indologist of course would like to have --
so what I have been doing is preparing texts on the Mac with NeoOffice /
OpenOffice, with the not-really-so-nice results, and then making the
final PDFs in LibreOffice in Scientific Linux with Parallels, which look
really nice.

My experience with the various Linuxes is that Scientific Linux and
CentOS support Indian scripts well (also with iBus as input engine).
Both are available free of cost and are based on the Red Hat Enterprise
Edition, which is not free of cost. The last time I tried (about a year
ago), Ubuntu, SUSE and others had text input problems and simply
couldn't produce clear and good results, whether on screen or on paper.

So these are my tips for those among us who want to use Linux with South
Indian scripts. But I would be happy to be corrected if in the meantime
the other Linux versions (or newer Mac versions) have improved.

Regards,
Robert

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos