[INDOLOGY] Demise of Professor Mudumbi Narasimhachary

Whitney Cox wc3 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 18:47:43 UTC 2013

I am very sorry to learn of Prof. Narasimhachary's passing.  I only met him
once, at a conference on manuscriptology in Chennai, where he delivered
what (given the conference's subject matter) proved to be a remarkably
moving keynote address on the eve of America's invasion of Iraq.

I have, quite coincidentally, just been reading his edition and study of
Yāmuna's Āgamaprāmāṇyam, which is a model of careful scholarship.  R.I.P.

On 7 March 2013 12:35, Rohana Seneviratne <
rohana.seneviratne at orinst.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Dear List,
>

>  It was with great sorrow that we heard of the death of Prof. Mudumby
> Narasimhachary. Prof. Narasimhachary was Founder Professor & Head of the
> Department of Vaishnavism, University of Madras and a scholar published
> widely on Visistadvaita.
>
>  Oxford Center for Hindu Studies Facebook page has a post on this sad
> news.
>
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=564787110206915&set=pb.282964808389148.-2207520000.1362680558&type=3&theater
>
>  Here is a brief account of him
> http://www.worldwisdom.com/public/authors/M_Narasimhachary.aspx
>
>  He will be seriously missed by all at Oxford where he was Shivdasani
> Visiting Fellow (twice, most recently last year) and Director of Academic
> Affairs (2000–2001) at OCHS.
>

>   ------------------------------------------------
> Rohana Seneviratne
> The Oriental Institute
> Faculty of Oriental Studies
> University of Oxford
> Pusey Lane
> Oxford
> OX1 2LE
> UK
>
> Email: rohana.seneviratne at orinst.ox.ac.uk
> Web: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~pemb3753/

Dr. Whitney Cox
Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit
Department of the Languages and Cultures of South Asia,
SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG