[INDOLOGY] Query

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:52:28 UTC 2013

By devavarṣa, they are probably referring to the Divine Year. The standard
description in the Sūrya Siddhānta and the Purāṇas  is that an year for
human beings is one ahorātra (day+night) for the gods.  Three hundred
ahoratras of gods make one *devavatsara, **divyavatsara *or *devavarṣa*.

On the other hand, the Jupiter Year, according to the data given in the
Sūrya Siddhānta, is 361days, 0h 38mins.

Regards,
Suresh.