[INDOLOGY] Vālmīki's Rāmāyaṇa 4.39.28-29

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 3 10:38:26 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

Could anyone with easy access to the critical edition perhaps tell me whether there are any significant variants for these two verses? It is no doubt naive to even hope for such philological luck, but I would be very pleased indeed if it would be possible to tease out of the transmission of these verses some word like s(u)varṇadvīpa or s(u)varṇabhūmi, to stand beside yavadvīpa. For various epigraphical sources from Indonesia speak mysteriously of a saptasuvarṇabhūmi (and synonyms), whereas these Rāmāyaṇa verses, as they stand, say of yavadvīpa that it is saptarājyopaśobhita.

Thank you.

Arlo Griffiths
EFEO/Jakarta