[INDOLOGY] Brahmin in Akam 337? (Re: dacoits, bandits, thugs and other unsavory characters)

palaniappa at aol.com palaniappa at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 06:02:32 UTC 2013

Dear Suresh,

As far as I know, the words, pārppār/pāppār do not occur in Tamil-Brahmi inscriptions. The word pārppār occurs in Pullur plates of Nandivarman II of the 8th century.

As I said I do not subscribe to the etymology of pārppār from pār- 'to see'. But Caldwell glosses pārppār as 'overseers' clearly seeing the etymology of pår 'to see'. (See http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil_elib/Cdw856__Caldwell_ComparativeGrammarDravidian.pdf, p.79)  And if you look at the Malayalam  word Ma. pārppavar the seers, brahmans in DEDR 4091b, one can understand why DEDR has grouped it that way.

As for your second point, as DEDR notes we may have some contamination with Skt. brāhmaṇa- and its derivatives in the words bã̄pũḍu brahman; fem. bã̄pata; bã̄pana the brahman caste. On the other hand, these forms may be related to IA bappa. In Pullur plates, the Sanskrit section has bappa bhaṭṭāraka while the Tamil section has pārppār, referring to the same group of brahmins. Moreover, that the form pār alone can indicate a brahmin suggests that we dot really have to derive it from brāhmaṇa.

I agree with your third point. I was mentioning pōṟṟi as a synonym and not as a cognate.

Regards,
Palaniappan