[INDOLOGY] Pot making in ancient India

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 15:17:12 UTC 2013

Dear François,
You are no doubt aware of Wilhelm Rau's Töpferei und Tongeschirr im
vedischen Indien (1972; probably now in Rau's Kleine Schriften).
In addition there is the Habilitations thesis by Rau's student Prof. Konrad
Klaus of which I don't know whether it has by now appeared as book ... I
hope so.
Jan

On 11 June 2013 14:36, François Voegeli <francois.voegeli at unil.ch> wrote:

> Dear Members of the List,
>
> I am looking for studies on pot making in ancient India, by which I mean
> more specifically Vedic times, the Mahābhārata at the youngest.
> I am aware of the studies of Ikari on the ukhā, of Houben and Van Buitenen
> on the mahāvīra, but is there anything new in this field?
> Also: is there a "ghaṭakāraśāstra" somewhere (even if only in manuscript
> form)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Dr François Voegeli
>
> Senior FNS Researcher
> Institut d'Archéologie et des Sciences de l'Antiquité
> Anthropole, bureau 4018
> Faculté des Lettres
> Université de Lausanne
> CH-1015 Lausanne

Prof. Dr. Jan E.M. Houben,
Directeur d Etudes « Sources et Histoire de la Tradition Sanskrite »
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, SHP,
A la Sorbonne,45-47, rue des Ecoles,
75005 Paris -- France.
JEMHouben at gmail.com