[INDOLOGY] Query

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Jun 9 02:42:12 UTC 2013

This description of Śaivas in some texts is paralleled by similar treatment
of Vaiṣṇavas in several texts.  Recently, Rosalind O'Hanlon of Oxford gave
a paper on some Jātinirṇaya texts where the Vaiṣṇavas are also listed as
having a very low status.  All these kinds of descriptions simply reflect
sectarian animosities, and simply point to a fact that there was no
comprehensive standardization of such categories in the name of a unified
Hinduism.

Madhav Deshpande

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Christopher Wallis <bhairava11 at gmail.com>wrote:

> P.s. the verse has several parallels I can dig up for you if you don't
> know them, and it is historically important because it shows that for
> orthodox brāhmaṇas at this time, contact with an initiated Śaiva is as
> polluting as contact with an untouchable -- which I hope makes one hesitate
> to place Śaivism under the rubric "Hinduism", at least for the early
> medieval period.
>

> On 8 June 2013 12:56, Patrick Olivelle <jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know whether the term "kāruka" has a specifically Śaiva
>> technical meaning -- perhaps a special kind of initiate? I see this in a
>> verse:
>>
>> kāpālikāḥ pāśupatāḥ śaivaś ca saha kārukaiḥ |
>> dṛṣṭāś ced ravim īkṣeta spṛṣṭāś cet snānam ācaret ||
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Patrick

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA