[INDOLOGY] Prof. Shivaram Dattatray Joshi, 15-8-1926 - 29-7-2013

Amba Kulkarni ambapradeep at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 15:16:24 UTC 2013

It is Prof. Joshi's works through which I was introduced to the
Mahabhashya, and also to the whole Paninian tradition, through the
printed material.

The first work which I read was the samarth-aahnika. He made all the
arguments on  asamartha compound and gamakatva
easy by providing a summary in a tabular form.

When we decided to hold the 3rd symposium on Sanskrit Computational
Linguistics at Hyderabad,  I could dare to invite him as a keynote
speaker.
I say 'I could dare' because at that time I did not know him
personally, never did I meet him before. I knew him only through his
works. And as he puts it, he was hesitating to accept the invitation,
but when he accepted the invitation, he was there for all the three
days, attended all the sessions, and also encouraged us to arrange
such events frequently.

His keynote speech is available at
http://sanskrit.uohyd.ernet.in/Symposium/papers/joshi.pdf, and the
video at http://sanskrit.uohyd.ernet.in/Symposium/video/15-01-09/inau_keynote.rm

May his soul rest in peace, and may his wife have a strength to accept the loss.

-- Amba Kulkarni

On 29 July 2013 18:00, Jan E.M. Houben <jemhouben at gmail.com> wrote:
> With sadness we learn of the demise of Prof. Shivaram Dattatray Joshi, who
> has been for many decades, in the words of his friend, student and close
> collaborator Dr. J.A.F. Roodbergen, “il maestro di color che sanno in the
> field of Sanskrit grammar.” He will live on, to use Brendan Gillon's terms,
> in "his published work" and in "his erudite students" (who have become the
> teachers of Pāṇini-students of my own generation).
>
> A bibliography of his publications up to 1989 is found in:
> Pāṇinian Studies - Prof. S.D. Joshi Felicitation Volume
> (ed. by Madhav M. Deshpande, Saroja Bhate)
> Michigan: Univ. of Michigan, Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies,
> 1991.
> The same publication contains a Preface by Prof. Madhav Deshpande with
> further details about the life and career of Prof. S.D. Joshi (accomplished
> vyākaraṇācārya before reaching the age of 20, “discovered” by Prof. D.H.H.
> Ingalls in the early 1950s, Ph.D. at Harvard Univ. in 1960).
>
> After his 65th birthday, from 1991-2011, fourteen volumes on the Aṣṭādhyāyī
> of Pāṇini appeared with the Sahitya Akademi in New Delhi.
> Authors: S.D. Joshi and J.A.F. Roodbergen.
>
> Vol. fifteen in the series, prepared by J.A.F. Roodbergen alone (and
> dedicated to S.D. Joshi), appeared in Pune at the Vaidika Samshodhana
> Mandala in 2011.
>
> Other supplements to the 1991 list of publications (articles by him, by him
> together with P. Kiparsky and by him together with J.A.F. Roodbergen) can be
> found in the section “References” in A Dictionary of Pāṇinian Grammatical
> Terminology (by J.A.F. Roodbergen),  Pune: Bhandarkar Oriental Research
> Institute, 2008.
>
> See also: J.A.F. Roodbergen, “Suppl[e]ment to Dictionary of Pāṇinian
> Grammatical Terminology” in Annals of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research
> Institute, vol. 90 (for 2009): 127-151.
>
> One of his last public speeches was probably his Keynote Address in January
> 2009 at the Third International Computational Linguistics Symposium in
> Hyderabad (see “Background of the Aṣṭādhyāyī” p. 1-5 in Sanskrit
> Computational Linguistics : Third International Symposium, Hyderabad, India,
> January 2009, Proceedings, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 5406,
> ed. by Amba Kulkarni and Gérard Huet, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2009).

आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: ll
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.
- Rig Veda, I-89-i.
Assoc Prof.  and Head
Department of Sanskrit Studies
University of Hyderabad