[INDOLOGY] Professor Abhijit Ghosh

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 19:38:08 UTC 2013

Most saddening and incomprehensible that Prof. Dr. Abhijit Ghosh -- our
dear Abhi-daa -- passed away ... far too young.

Hardly a month ago I consulted him on the lexical element paN as I was not
satisfied with the statements about it in some handbooks; he referred me to
his Non-Aryan linguistic elements in the Atharvaveda which he had gifted me
around 10 years ago and which I should have consulted in the first place:
the answer was already there.

The full reference is:
Non-Aryan linguistic elements in the Atharvaveda : a study of some words of
Austric origin / by Dr. Abhijit Ghosh
Calcutta : Sanskrit Pustak Bhandar, 2000.

Another well-known contribution by him is the edited volume:
Ātharvaṇā : a collection of essays on the Atharva Veda with special
reference to its Paippalāda tradition / ed. by Abhijit Ghosh.
Kolkata : Sanskrit Book Depot, 2002.

Condolences to his family with this unbearable loss.

Jan Houben