[INDOLOGY] question for European Indologists

Judit Torzsok torzsokjudit at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 4 21:08:16 UTC 2013

Since the French indological tradition has
been mentioned: I cannot speak for others, but in Lille, we still use the
French version of Gonda (this seems to be a local tradition, which I have not
broken), to which I add exercises from my French translation of George Hart's book
and my own exercises for the Devanaagarii + Hitopade"sa stories from
Lanman's reader, with vocabulary in French. An interesting book we also use is R. Garnier's Textes épiques sanskrits, which would nevertheless need a revised/corrected edition. The problem (or my problem) is that one cannot/is not supposed
to use English medium books in France, let alone German. I'd also like to
remark that there is no Sanskrit teaching as such at the Collège de France and
the only place that has a proper undergraduate course in Indology in France is
Paris III / Sorbonne nouvelle.

For those who are interested in the history of
teaching Sanskrit: in Hungary, Richard Fick's book (in German) was used for about
half a century (n.b.: Gothic script edition---as those who had the privilege to
use it remember...) After years of experimenting with various course books for
beginners, I now find that Fick's was not so bad, with all the sample sentences
taken from classical sources. And I know someone who still uses it.

Judit Törzsök