Open Access publishing

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 28 15:34:04 UTC 2013

I know this isn't indological, but I think it affects most professional
academics, and it's an interesting sign of the future direction of
publishing for most of us here on INDOLOGY.

As of 1 April 2013, all publicly funded research in the United Kingdom must
be published Open Access.  Authors are mandated to keep their copyright,
and must publish their research under a liberal Creative Commons license.

The UK's Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) is included in this
new policy, and it is the AHRC that funds most indological research in
Britain, apart from that done by the small number of permanent university
employees.

The UK policy appears to apply to "research papers" published in
peer-reviewed journals.  The Austrian FWF, which is the national research
funding body for Austria, has a similar all-encompassing Open Access
policy<http://www.fwf.ac.at/de/public_relations/oai/index.html>for
publications
arising out of the research it funds, but in the FWF's case the policy extends
also to mongraphs.  I fail to see how this can possibly work,
especiallyfor books that might fall into the trade category.  But it's
a nice id
ea.

The full UK government announcement can be read
here<http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/media/news/2012news/Pages/120716.aspx>

Best,
Dominik