number of Sanskrit mss. and number of texts

Eugen Ciurtin e.ciurtin at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 27 19:01:11 UTC 2013

In order to supplement just a bit the very helpful discussion about the *
acintya*-like figures of Sanskrit works and MSS, and to specifically
include BHS MSS: in his overview article on “The Buddhist Contribution to
Indian Belles-Lettres” (*AOH* 2010, p. 456), Professor Michael Hahn
estimates the vastness of both Chinese and Tibetan Buddhist canons:

“The former collection contains *some 1700 works of Indian origin *that
were translated between the 2nd and 11th centuries CE. Translated into
English, they would fill approximately 300,000 pages in the octavo format.
The latter collection contains some 5000 works that were translated between
the end of the 8th and the beginning of the 14th centuries CE. Only a few
of them were translated later, e.g., Pāṇini’s grammar. Translated into
English, they would cover more than 400,000 pages. My free guess is that *not
more than 25% of these texts have survived in their original language*. But
even in these cases the translations, in particular those into Tibetan, are
invaluable ancillary sources because they are quite often based on better
manuscripts than those that have survived in the places mentioned above.”

Kind regards,

E. Ciurtin

--
Dr E. Ciurtin
Secretary of the Romanian Association for the History of Religions

Publications Officer of the European Association for the Study of Religions
www.easr.eu

Lecturer & Secretary of the Scientific Council
Institute for the History of Religions, Romanian Academy
Calea 13 Septembrie no. 13 sect. 5, Bucharest 050711
Phone: 00 40 733 951 953