[INDOLOGY] Fwd: John Brough's 1980 article on Pali sakāya niruttiyā?

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:25:58 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jan E.M. Houben <jemhouben at gmail.com>
Date: 24 February 2013 16:27
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] John Brough's 1980 article on Pali sakāya niruttiyā?
To: Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu>
Cc: "indology at list.indology.info" <INDOLOGY at list.indology.info>

Dear Madhav,

This is a new element in an old discussion to which contributions have also
been made long ago at our Ideology and Status of Sanskrit (ISS) conference
(new Indian edition of the proceedings with brief update on the theme in
new preface has recently appeared:
Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 2012, ISBN 978-208-3501-6).
A Wezler referred at that occasion to Jacobi 1893:112-119 and E. W. Hopkins
1902:83ff. (his article in ISS proceedings p. 346).
A Aklujkar referred to the passage as an early place where samskrta as
adjective to vāc would refer to what we call "Sanskrit" (ISS proceedings p.
71), which suits the old interpretations from Jacobi onwards.
I drew attention to "Govindarāja's comments" on the Ramayana passage "in
which he contrasts a local mānuṣa language
of men (atra vākyasya mānuṣatvaṁ kosaladeśavartimanuṣyasambandhitvaṁ
vivaksitaṁ tādrgvākyasyaiva devīparicitatvāt) and the gīrvāṇabhāṣā,
Rāmāyana, Krishnacharya's ed. vol. 2:112-113" (ISS proceedings p. 167).
Both Govindarāja's mānuṣa language and his gīrvāṇabhāṣā are in the normally
accepted reading vācaṁ ... saṁskrtām:
*vācaṁ* codāharisyāmi mānusīm iha *saṁskrtām*
versus
yadi *vācaṁ* pradāsyāmi dvi-jātir iva *saṁskrtām*

John Brough's article was reprinted in the Collected Articles edited by
Wright and Hara (1996).

Jan