[INDOLOGY] The Karanakesari by Bhaskara (fl. ca. 1681)

Clemency Montelle Clemency.Montelle at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Feb 20 10:28:36 UTC 2013

Dear List,

I am currently working on an astronomical work written in Sanskrit
called the  KaraNakezari by  BhAskara (fl. ca. 1681) with my colleague
Kim Plofker.  The work is only 20 verses long; the first verse gives
some background on the author and makes reference to his lineage.
BhAskara we are told is the son of RAma and is a descendent  from the
"family" ("kula") called  KavIndra.

Can anyone recommend any scholarly sources which set out the details
surrounding the varna/kula etc hierarchy, or where to find out more (if
possible) about the KavIndra kula?

The title of this work is also puzzling; kezarin is of course an
adj/noun which means having a mane/a lion (among other meanings), but it
could also be a family name, which perhaps it is here.  Is this familiar
to anyone?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Clemency

--