[INDOLOGY] First use of 'Indology'

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:31:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Christophe Vielle
<christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:

> It is to be noted that without using the term itself, John Stuart Mill in 1858 had his own idea
> about what might be called 'Indology':
>
> " (…) India is a peculiar country; the state of society and civilization, the character and habits
> of the people, and the private and public rights established among them, are totally different
> from those which are known or recognised in this country; in fact the study of India must be
> as much a profession in itself as law or medecine"
>
> (see John M. Robson, Martin Moir & Zawahir Moir eds, Collected Works of John Stuart Mill,
> vol. 30: Writings on India, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1990, p. 49 ; comment by
> Jennifer Pitts, A Turn to Empire: the rise of imperial liberalism in Britain and France,
> Princeton University Press, 2005, pp. 149-150).

Thanks, everyone, for the pointers. The quotation from John Stuart
Mill is interesting. Were there any other similar quotations about
India from the early Indologists such as Anquetil Duperon (1723–1805,
first translator of the Upanishads), August Schlegel (1767–1845,
produced a Latin translation of the Gita) and Charles Wilkins
(1749–1836, first English translator of the Gita) et al.?

Incidentally, in a recent interview with my friend, Sudheer Kolachina,
Noam Chomsky quoted Stuart Mill on India and "humanitarian
intervention" to show how individuals of the highest intelligence and
integrity also succumbed to toeing the official line (referring to
John Stuart Mill's "A Few Words on Non-Intervention, 1859"). The
interview is available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2isewvsPiA

Regards,
Suresh.