[INDOLOGY] Publication Announcement

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 18 18:10:21 UTC 2013

Dear Joseph,

Your observations on early Buddhist responses to sacrifice are interesting indeed, perhaps the
beginning of a new thread. No doubt my views are colored by the later sources I know best.
In any event, opposition to sacrificial cult at some point became a hallmark of Buddhism - this
is precisely the reason for which Jayadeva praises Buddha as a compassionate avatāra of Viṣṇu
in Gītagovinda, but that is another story! (and interesting that he does not invoke the 'leading sinners astray'
trope of the VP that was mentioned earlier).

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago