Re: [INDOLOGY] meṭa 'a whitewashed storeyed house' L.

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 16 23:07:42 UTC 2013

Dear Victor,

Many thanks. This, I presume, will have been Monier Williams' source.

Best wishes,

Arlo

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:47:25 -0600
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] meṭa 'a whitewashed storeyed house' L.
From: vbd203 at googlemail.com
To: suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
CC: arlogriffiths at hotmail.com; indology at list.indology.info

Dear Arlo,
In Oppert's edition of the Vaijayantī मेट occurs on p. 161 l. 57 (https://archive.org/details/Vaijayanti). In his glossary he lists the definition as "m, white washed upstair (sic) house." Later editions of this kośa should probably be consulted as I've found a number of discrepancies between Oppert's text and citations in commentaries and the commentators seem to have a superior reading.

All the Best,Victor