[INDOLOGY] pirated essay

Veeranarayana Pandurangi veerankp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 20:02:22 UTC 2013

yes it is a big problem.  sorry to hear it.
I will write to my colleagues in rashtriya sanskrit Sansthan so they make
changes to the online version though they no more can do about printed
version.
I hope to correct it.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Rosane Rocher <rrocher at sas.upenn.edu>wrote:

>  Dear colleagues,
>
> With thanks to Herman Tull, I just found out that an essay of mine was
> reprinted without my knowledge or mention of the source from which it was
> taken, and, worst of all, with misrepresenting changes.
>
> My original essay "Sanskrit and Related Studies in the United States:
> 1960–1985" was written for, and published in the proceedings of, *Indological
> Studies & South Asia Bibliography - a Conference*, convened in Calcutta
> at the National Library of India by its then director, the late great
> historian Ashin Dasgupta, in which I participated in 1986 (pp. 61–92).  A
> pirated reprint has since appeared in the volume *Sanskrit Studies
> outside India (On the occasion of 10th World Sanskrit Conference,
> Bangalore, Jan 3–9, 1997 *[which I did not attend]*), *New Delhi:
> Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, 1997, edited by the Sansthan's then director,
> Dr. K.K. Mishra, under the truncated title "Sanskrit Studies in United
> States" (pp. 97–152).  I do mind the deletion of "and Related Studies,"
> since it was the very point of my essay to assess the state of Sanskrit
> studies contextually, particularly in connection with area studies,
> religious studies, and Indo-European linguistics.  Yet worse is the
> deletion of the period "1960–1985" and passing off the essay as if it was
> still current 11 years later.  I notice that essays about Sanskrit Studies
> in other parts of the world included in the Sansthan's volume were current,
> mentioning dates up to 1996.
>
> Since then, an online version of the Sansthan's volume has appeared, which
> omits the two appendices in my essay (pp. 128–152, equivalent to pp. 77–91
> of my original essay).  As a consolation, perhaps, the online version
> mercifully also omits the list of contributors to the Sansthan's volume
> (pp. 153–154), in which the 5 half-line entry that concerns me manages to
> feature 4 mistakes: misspelling my name "Roscher," misnaming my department
> "South Asian languages," mauling the name of my university as "University
> of Peninsula," and then again the State in which I reside as "Peninsula."
> This performance brings back to my mind the French phrase with which one of
> my high school teachers greeted anything stupid one of us students had
> done: "Dépêchons-nous d'en rire, de peur d'en pleurer" ("Let's hasten to
> laugh at this, lest it bring us to tears").
>
> I earnestly request scholars who might be interested in this topic to bear
> in mind the purpose and date of my essay and, if any might wish to quote
> it, to do so with its full, original title, including the period covered.
>
> With thanks and best wishes,
>
> Rosane Rocher
> Professor Emerita of South Asia Studies
> University of Pennsylvania
> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
> USA

Veeranarayana N.K. Pandurangi
Head, Dept of Darshanas,
Yoganandacharya Bhavan,
Jagadguru Ramanandacharya Rajasthan Samskrita University, Madau, post
Bhankrota, Jaipur, 302026. India

अथ चेत्त्वमिमं धर्म्यं संग्रामं न करिष्यसि। ततः स्वधर्मं कीर्तिं च हित्वा
पापमवाप्स्यसि।।
तस्मादुत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिश्चयः। निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व
विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)

http://jrrsanskrituniversity.ac.in/ <jrrsanskrituniversity at ac.in>
http://jrrsanskrituniversity.ac.in/acd1.asp <jrrsanskrituniversity at ac.in>
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/bvparishat