[INDOLOGY] pirated essay

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:24:46 UTC 2013

Dear Rosane, how painful.   I've had similar experiences.

One can write to the culprits, send solicitors' "cease and desist" letters,
etc.  But that may not help much, and is troublesome.

Maybe the most elegant way forward is to get an account at
http://academia.edu, and put your own copy of your paper there, with
suitable framing comments at the top.  You can also mention the pirated
copy, together with any disparaging comments you wish to make.  Anybody
searching for the topic by keyword will find your copy first, probably,
since academia.edu is pretty famous.  But at the least they would find
both, and your attached comments would be visible.

See my "Sanskrit Manuscript Collections outside
India<https://univie.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk/Papers>"
paper at Academia.edu for an example of how I dealt with this issue.

Quite a lot of us are putting our non-copyright papers up on Academia.edu
these days.  It's becoming a valuable discovery tool for new research
publications in one's chosen fields of interest.  I recommend it.

Best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk